Sixty years ago there was a hydro electric system that supplied electricity for a girls camp that used to be at this location. We will be revitalizing the hyro system to supply electricity for the barn-house. The dam on Cummins Pond was built by the Shakers in the late 1800's. Based on documents supplied from the NH Dam Bureau it shows that the dam sluiceway has gone through various repairs and small modifications. We have contracted with Lisa Martin from Quantum Consulting to design a refurbishing to the sluiceway and to connect the dam to the "power house" about 330 feet downstream.
Cummins Pond Sluiceway. Facing east towards pond.
The sluiceway has 6 inch wood boards in front of the vertical posts. We have six boards that are removable to regulate the water level in the pond.
The stone wall work on the North side of the dam has held up since it was built in the late 1800's.
This part of the rock dam has very little seepage from the pond.
Close up view on the North side of the training wall of the sluiceway. We have been able to stop the leaks on the right by patching on the lake side. The leak on the botton left has been consistent for the ten years we have owned the property but we have not been able to find the source on the pond side of the dam.
Close up of the south side of the training walls in the sluiceway. We are able to stop these leaks by repairs on the pond side of the sluiceway.
Pond side of the sluiceway showing the stop logs that are in place to stop debrie from getting into the sluiceway or large pieces of ice during iceout.
View from the dam looking down the sluiceway.
The "Power House" as we call it is about 330 feet down stream from the dam on Cummins Pond. The building is where the hydroelectric system was located that supplied electricity to a girls camp on the property in the 1950's. The original turbine is still under the building.